OPEN CALL FOR DECLARATION OF INTEREST
Nicosia Pop-up Festival 2016
In the context of the organisation of Pop-up Festival 2016, the Nicosia Municipality in collaboration with the Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, associated with the Pierides Foundation [NiMAC], extends an open call for proposals for the allocation of vacant shops and the organisation of events at the City Plaza in Makarios Avenue during the period 1 December 2016 – 6 January 2017.
The major objective of the festival is to gather in the main shopping artery of Nicosia whatever innovative, inventive and creative exists today in the fields of entrepreneurship, entertainment and culture. Through the organization of the festival, we aim at the revitalization and revival of Makarios Avenue by boosting entrepreneurship, either through commercial activity or through innovation, and the emergence of new talents through creation.
The project will be accompanied by a range of parallel activities –educational, cultural, recreational– focusing on the active participation of the public.
The proposals will concern the following areas:
Proposals concerning innovative ideas from new companies (start ups)
Proposals by professionals or young entrepreneurs and artists in relation to retail trade
Proposals relating to arts and culture (e.g. art exhibitions, installations, theatre, music, performances, dance)
Proposals of educational interest (e.g. workshops, courses, lectures and other related activities), which will be held in appropriate predefined spaces
Festival venue, duration and opening hours
The venue for the Pop-up Festival 2016 will be the vacant shops of City Plaza Shopping Mall in Makarios Avenue.
Duration of festival: 1 December 2016 – 6 January 2017
Days and opening hours:
Tuesday to Sunday: 10:30 – 13:30 and 15:00 – 20:00
Monday: Closed (During the festive Christmas season the shops will remain open).
The opening hours should be strictly observed.
Note: The opening hours are not binding for those shops wishing to remain open or to hold scheduled events during lunch hours.
Participation cost (for those selected)
- For concession of a shop, the one-time participation cost is set at €250.
- For holding events/happenings, which will generate revenue (not applicable to shops), the one-time participation cost is set at €50.
- For holding events/happenings which will not generate revenue (not applicable to shops) the participation is free.
Deadline for submission of proposals
Proposals should be submitted:
- In person to our offices located on the corner of Tempon and Pentadaktylos Streets in the Old Town, Monday to Friday 09:00 – 15:00 by Thursday, 27 October 2016, at 15:00.
- In electronic form to email@example.com writing as Subject: Declaration of interest for POP-UP FESTIVAL 2016 (please note that the file should not exceed 7MB) by Sunday, 30 October 2016.
For further information and clarification questions, please call at 22 797400, 09:00-15:00.
The selection of the proposals will be made on the basis of innovation, originality, quality and on whether the proposal is feasible and practicable.
- The final number of the applicants that will be selected will depend both on the final number of available shops and the available budget.
- Selection will take place in two phases: pre-selection and final selection. Applicants for short-listed proposals will be invited for an interview for further discussion and analysis of their proposal, if necessary.
- The Municipality and the Municipal Arts Centre are not obliged to justify to any applicant whichever decision they make regarding his/her participation in the festival.
(with regard to proposals which will generate revenue)
The Municipality will be responsible for the operational costs of the shops such as electricity and water (only where water supply is available).
(with regard to proposals which will not generate revenue)
- The Municipality will be responsible for the operational costs of the shops such as electricity and water (only where water supply is available).
- In addition, the Municipality will also cover part of the funds required for the implementation of events/happenings during the festival, which will not exceed 50% of the total budget. The maximum subsidy amount will not exceed €400.
Please note that during the final selection phase a detailed statement of expenses will have to be submitted for both categories. Original receipts or invoices are required for all expenses incurred.